I guess I’m still riding the post-vacation high; I’m just enjoying life right now. Nothing is any different than it was before vacation, but man, did I ever need that vacation! Or maybe it’s these cupcakes, because sprinkles are just so fun and make everything better anyway. Am I right?!? 😉 These aren’t just plain ol’ funfetti cupcakes either. They’re Funfetti Angel Food Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting!! The cake is light and airy – just like angel food cake is supposed to be – and that frosting…oh man! Cream cheese + whipped cream…I die =). And of course, LOTS of sprinkles! #kidatheart They were definitely a hit. Give them a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Funfetti Angel Food Cupcakes
for the cake:
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
1/8 tsp salt
6 egg whites, at room temperature
2 1/2 tbsp warm water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 1/2 tbsp rainbow jimmies
for the cream cheese whipped cream frosting:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
rainbow sprinkles, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse sugar until super fine, about 1-2 minutes. In a mixing bowl, whisk together half of the sugar, the cake flour and the salt.
2. In bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat together egg whites, water, vanilla and almond extract and cream of tartar until well combined. Slowly add remaining sugar and beat until medium peaks form.
3. In 3-4 batches, gradually fold the flour mixture into beaten egg whites. Fold in sprinkles.
4. Divide batter among (~18) paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup nearly full. Bake in preheated oven 19 – 22 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely.
5. While cupcakes cool, prepare the frosting. In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and extracts and beat until combined. Change to whisk attachment and slowly add cream. Increase speed and beat until stiff peaks form. Frost cupcakes as desired. Top with sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator.
*adapted from Cooking Classy