I just got back from a short vacation, and while it’s always fun to eat out and try new things I’m kind of anxious to get back in the kitchen. It’s been close to 2 weeks since I baked anything!! I’m going into withdraws people ;). I baked this pie a couple weeks ago, and I wish I had a slice right now! My grandma has been making this pie for as long as I can remember, and it’s pretty much the best coconut cream pie ever. It’s a classic for a reason! No fancy ingredients or techniques, just pure and simple deliciousness! Give it a try. I know you’ll love it. Enjoy!
Coconut Cream Pie
1 (9 inch) pie crust, unbaked
2 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for meringue)
2 cups milk
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/4 cups shredded coconut
2 tbsp butter
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake crust until golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
2. While crust is baking, combine egg yolks, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, flour, and shredded coconut in medium saucepan. Cook over medium to medium high heat, whisking constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until melted.
3. Pour filling into prepared crust. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
4. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla in bowl of stand mixer and whisk until foamy.
5. Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Spread over filling. Sprinkle with additional coconut, if desired.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.