It seems like this time of year I always have an abundance of yellow squash…and I don’t even have a garden! It’s always a good year for squash I guess ;). Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful everyone wants to share. I love squash any way you fix it, however Jordan really prefers it fried (He thinks everything is better fried haha). I’m not much of a fryer, but this oven “fried” squash will give you all the same flavor without all the work. Who wants to stand over the hot stove?? Not me =). I’m a true southerner so I like a little sugar on my squash, but you could easily omit this if you prefer. I could make a meal out of this squash! I’m not even joking. It’s that good. You’ll definitely want to give this recipe a try. Enjoy!
Oven “Fried” Squash
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 egg white
1/2 tbsp water
2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut into ¼ in. slices
2 tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Combine cornmeal and salt in small bowl. Set Aside.
3. Combine egg white and water; beat well.
4. Dip squash into egg and then dredge into cornmeal mixture.
5. Place in single layer onto prepared pan. Sprinkle tops with 1 tsp sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Flip and sprinkle second side with remaining 1 tsp sugar. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more or until second side is golden brown.