Tonight is my last night in the ER! Praise God!!! 🙂 I still have several more shifts before the rotation is over, but thankfully they’re all days. I’m grateful that we have doctors who enjoy working in the ER, but I have quickly discovered that I am not one of them. Aside from the fact that I
hate strongly dislike working in the ER, the hours also kind of stink. I haven’t been home (Jamestown) in what seems like forever. That’s changing tomorrow though. I have Sunday off, so I’m headed home after work tomorrow! Yay! And apparently, they’re ready to kill the fatted calf for me ;).
That whole story has nothing to do with these blackberry pie bars, but if you have any time off this weekend you should give this recipe a try! I’m a huge fan of blackberries and blackberry pie. These bars are almost a cross between blackberry cobbler and blackberry pie. They’re perfect for summer – no plate or fork required. After several days of 80+ degree weather, we’re having a bit of a cold spell here in Tennessee. I’m not sure if this is blackberry winter or not, but if it is you should definitely make something with blackberries this weekend. =) Enjoy!
Blackberry Pie Bars
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
zest and juice of one lemon, divided
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch slices
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)
3 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 inch square pan.
2. In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Add the butter and mix until butter is size of peas. Add egg and vanilla. Stir on low to combine.
3. Pat half of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, saving the remaining dough for the topping. Dough will be kind of sticky, so you may need to flour your fingers slightly.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blackberries. Sprinkle the blackberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown (you are only looking for the top to slightly brown, if you cook for too long – the bottom will burn).
6. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.
*adapted from Allrecipes