After going months without baking cupcakes, it seems I’ve rekindled my love affair with cupcakes ;). I have lots of new recipe ideas, but sometimes you just crave the classics – like oreo cupcakes. And it just so happens that I’ve been wanting to re-blog those cupcakes for a couple different reasons – because the picture is really old (Although this picture isn’t much better. Thank you daylight savings time! haha) and because I’ve kind of tweaked the recipe a little. The frosting is basically the same, but the cupcake is more like the Mint Oreo Cupcake recipe. Jordan says he prefers the original, but I like this version better. They’re both delicious and you can’t really go wrong with oreo, right?? =) Enjoy!
for the cupcakes:
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/3 cup (1 ounce) hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
3/4 cup hot coffee
3/4 cup bread flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup finely crushed oreos
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
3. Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Gently stir in crushed oreos.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups using a 3 tbsp scoop. Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour. Makes 18
*adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
for the frosting:
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4-1 cup crushed oreos
1. Beat butter and cream cheese together with paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about a minute. 2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Gently stir in crushed oreos – adding 1/4 cup at a time. (Sometimes I use 3/4 cup, sometimes closer to 1 cup. The more crumbs you add, the more “oreo” flavor you get but you do sacrifice some visual appeal as the frosting becomes darker.)
3. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.