This frosting blew me away! I mean, obviously I don’t try recipes that I think will be bad, but I was not expecting this one to be so delicious! It literally takes one minute to make and is sort of like a cross between frosting and ganache, which ends up tasting like fudge…soooo good =). I was originally going to spread my frosting on some brownies, but ended up making a low-fat chocolate cake. Of course the frosting isn’t low-fat, but whatever. Moderation, right?? 😉 The low-fat chocolate cake is super moist and packs a powerful chocolate punch. Low-fat or not, it’s very tasty! And the best part is that you can mix it up in one bowl and you won’t even need your stand mixer. I’m fairly certain this will satisfy even the most intense chocolate craving =). Enjoy!
One-Minute Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
1/4 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp corn syrup (or agave, honey)
1. Combine chocolate chips, milk, vanilla, and butter in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30-40 seconds. Remove and whisk until chocolate chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Return to the microwave for a few seconds if necessary.
2. Add powdered sugar and corn syrup and continue whisking until smooth.
3. Let cool until frosting thickens slightly before spreading, about 15-20 minutes.
*adapted from The Yummy Life
I used my frosting on this cake, but you could use it on anything you like…or eat it straight off the spoon ;).
One-Bowl Skinny Chocolate Cake
1-1/2 cups white sugar
3 tbsp canola oil
4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
2 egg whites
1 cup hot coffee
3/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup skim milk
2 cups cake flour
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (I used sugar-free)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray 9×13 pan with non-stick spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk together hot coffee and cocoa powder. Whisk in sugar, oil, egg, egg whites, vanilla, applesauce, milk, yogurt, and pudding mix until smooth.
3. Whisk in flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda – just until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*adapted from Skinny Taste