It’s not often that I use a cake mix, especially for cupcakes, but I promise you won’t know these cupcakes are from a mix. I got these awesome little cupcakes stands for Christmas and really wanted to bake cupcakes so I could take some pictures with my new stands. I asked my family what kind I should make and they requested white. White?? Really?? I wanted to make a new cupcake recipe that I could blog about and so we settled on cream cheese cupcakes. I searched the web for a cream cheese cupcake recipe that looked perfect, but couldn’t find one that I wanted to try so I took my favorite doctored up cake mix recipe and modified it to suite my tastes =). They turned out better than I could have hoped – a huge hit. If you like cream cheese you’ll love these cupcakes. Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Cupcakes
1 vanilla or white cake mix (unprepared)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 (3.4 oz) box cheesecake flavored instant pudding mix (unprepared)
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup canola oil
4 egg whites
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In large bowl, beat cream cheese with mixer until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
3. Using #20 scoop, divide batter evenly between prepared liners. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in middle of cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from tins and place on wire rack to cool completely. Makes 21-23 cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 stick butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 tbsp milk or cream
1. Combine butter and cream cheese in large bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Note: You will have enough frosting to generously frost your cupcakes. If you don’t like a lot of frosting you could probably half the recipe.