After a string of fruity/pumpkin desserts around Thanksgiving, I was craving a rich, chocolate dessert! I decided on a triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate marshmallow filling and chocolate cream cheese frosting – I wanted a triple chocolate punch to go along with my triple layers! =) I couldn’t really find a recipe that was exactly what I was looking for, so I took my favorite short-cut chocolate cake recipe and just made up the rest as I went. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t, but this time it worked ;). So delicious! Just what you need to go into a chocolate coma. The first piece I ate was at room temperature but it was much better the next day straight out of the fridge, so definitely allow yourself the extra time to chill. It’s totally worth it. And if you’re anti-cake mix just use your favorite from-scratch chocolate cake recipe instead. Enjoy!
Triple Layer Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chocolate Marshmallow Filling and Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cake:
1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) chocolate instant pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-stick spray.
2. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in large bowl and mix with electric mixer until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Bake time may vary depending on your pans.) Cool completely.
For the marshmallow filling:
1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 stick butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
7 oz marshmallow cream
1-2 tbsp milk
1. Combine butter and melted chocolate in bowl and beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
2. Add powdered sugar and marshmallow cream and beat until combined. Add milk to reach spreadable consistency.
For the chocolate cream cheese frosting:
1 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter, room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
1. Combine melted chocolate, cocoa powder, butter, and cream cheese in large bowl and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
2. Add powder sugar, vanilla, and milk and beat about 1 minute more or until light and fluffy.
Place one of the cooled cake layers on desired serving platter and top with half the marshmallow filling. Place second cake layer over filling and spread with remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Cover sides and top with frosting. Refrigerate 3-4 hours. Serve cold.