Originally, I set out to make homemade nutter butters. Jordan and I both happen to love nutter butters (and pretty much all things peanut butter) and since they are free at the hospital, I may or may not bring Jordan home a pack every once in a while ;). I googled homemade nutter butters and a bunch of different recipes came up. I read through a hundred a lot of recipes and then I picked one that looked good and modified it slightly. They were good and the filling tasted very similar but the cookies didn’t really have that nutter butter crunch, so I renamed them peanut butter sandwich cookies. The cookies were slightly crunchy right out of the oven but after they sat a few hours they really softened up. But if you like peanut butter cookies (and really what’s not to love??) you should still try this recipe! What I really want to try now though is…Nutter Butter Cupcakes! Hopefully I can come up with an awesome cupcake recipe for you all. =) Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
for the cookies:
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
for the filling
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp fine graham cracker crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar with an electric mixer Add the egg, salt, and peanut butter and beat until well blended.
3. Add the oats and flour to the mixture and blend well.
4. Pinch out small portions of dough and roll into 1-inch balls in the palm of your hand. Press these flat on ungreased cookie sheets so that they form 2-inch circles.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown around the edges.
6. While the cookies bake, combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl. When the cookies are cool, use a butter knife to spread a thin layer of filling on the flat side of a cookie and press another on top. Repeat. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
*adapted from Top Secret Recipes