If I had to pick a favorite cupcake (but please don’t make me!), these would be a front runner. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to blog about this recipe because it’s one of the first recipes that I made when I really started to become obsessed enthusiastic about baking cupcakes. I even blogged about a version I made with mint oreos before the original =). The mint was delicious too and would certainly be fitting since it’s close to the holidays, but how many times has the sequel to anything been better than the original??
I crush my oreos in a food processor, but if you don’t have a food processor you could certainly use a ziploc bag and rolling pin or meat mallet. I wouldn’t try to pipe the frosting though if you don’t have a food processor because you need to have very small crumbs, otherwise they’ll clog up your icing tip. I find that a large round tip works the best. This recipe will make around 3 dozen cupcakes (depending on how full you fill the liners), so occasionally I’ll half the recipe but I find that friends/family/neighbors are always willing to help keep any extras from going to waste ;). Enjoy!
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
8 oz. dark chocolate melted (I use Hershey’s special dark)
3 large eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup oreo cookie crumbs
1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in egg yolks.
3. Mix in vanilla and chocolate.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter/sugar mixture.
6. Stir in oreos.
7. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
8. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
9. Fill the cupcake liners using a 3 tbsp scoop.
10. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.
16 oz cream cheese, room temperate
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup crushed oreo cookies
1. Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
3. Add vanilla extract.
4. Gently stir in crushed oreos.